SERRA SAN BRUNO
The original name of the plateau was Torre until the fourteenth century, when, at the time of Ferdinand I of Aragon (1375 - 1416), that of Serra prevailed, to which after the proclamation of the Kingdom of Italy they wanted to add the epithet of "San Bruno" to better qualify the Calabrian town and above all as a manifestation of gratitude and filial devotion to the Founder and Father of the town.
When San Bruno arrived in Calabria, the generous Count Ruggero offered him a territory in the locality called Torre, between Arena and Stilo, at about 850 meters above sea level and in a position far from any inhabited center.
The grandiose building complex was rebuilt, starting in 1894, by local workers, on the design and under the direction of the architect Pichat, following a studied continuation of the previous building and recovery of those parts that had not been destroyed by the earthquake.
The reconstruction lasted until the end of the century and was tested on November 13, 1900, with the solemn consecration of the church, by the hand of the Serrese Bishop Mons. Giuseppe Barillari.
In the church of the monastery are kept, above the main altar, in addition to the silver bust containing the skull of San Bruno, the sacred bones of the founder of the Carthusian Order and of his first successor in Calabria, the blessed Lanuino. The relics are kept in a rich marble urn, inlaid with the words: "In morte quoque non sunt divisi".
On Friday 7 February, around two o'clock in the afternoon, a violent shock measuring 9° on the Mercalli scale, with its epicenter in Soriano (a village about 15 kilometers from Serra) and its surroundings, sowed terror throughout Calabria and caused indescribable ruins, claiming about 40,000 victims in a few moments.
In Certosa there was no loss of human life, but not one of the buildings was unharmed; the work of centuries was ruined in an instant. Soon the monks had to leave Serra; their lands were forfeited; the books, documents and treasures of the church were seized or stolen, until in 1808 the Certosa was suppressed by decree of Giuseppe Napoleone.
It is one of the places of greatest tourist interest in the Calabrian mountains.
The town boasts a beautiful historic center and hosts numerous green spaces , where excursions, naturalistic, religious and cultural itineraries are the order of the day.
The inland Calabro village has narrow streets and ancient stone buildings.
Hotel Grotticelle and Esmeraldo Residence are located in Capo Vaticano, a town a few km from the enchanting pearl of the Tyrrhenian Sea, Tropea in Calabria.
Thanks to its diversified offer, it offers holidays for everyone and for every need.
Ideal for families, lovers of relaxation, but also for couples and groups of friends, choosing our structure also means discovering the natural beauties, traditions and Calabrian food and wine.
Hotel Grotticelle Esmeraldo Residence
C.da Grotticelle snc - 89866 Capo Vaticano, Ricadi (VV)
Phone: +39 0963.663900
Phone: +39 0963.663157
Phone: +39 379.2549161
© Hotel GROTTICELLE - Capo Vaticano - Vat: IT00267020790